6 unknown ways you're making a difference in school
1. As a student, I'm so happy that you listen to my news.
2. As a parent, I'm so relieved that you're noticing that my child has dyslexic tendencies. I really struggled in school.
3. As a principal, I'm grateful that you hand in your cuntas míosúil in time. I hate going looking for them
4. As a student, though I can't articulate it properly - my movement break really helps me listen better through the day.
5. As an AP post holder, I really appreciate that you're helping me with this project. Thin…
Your leadership network might sound like...
Hey all, I have a question about an issue that I'm having with a student in school. Does anyone have expertise working with pupils with Downs Syndrome?
Hi Sarah - would you have 20 mins after 4 pm? - I have a question I'd like to ask you about resources for developing receptive language skills.
I've just finished a Masters in SEN - let me know if I can be of any assistance to you.
Hi Mary - I'll be applying for principal roles in the future and I'm looking for a mentor - would you be able to guide…
AP2 roles - are they worth it?
After reading lots of teachers talk about teacher burnout - I’m sharing my thoughts on applying for AP2 roles.
When making changes to your life - always weigh up the pros and cons. Know what you have to give and plan in advance what you are WILLING TO GIVE.
My energy is a positive and loving one here - I’ve made decisions in the past and regretted them in the end - but coaching has greatly helped me to understand my decision-making processes and treat myself and others with greater compassion. It’…
These simple strategies will transform your leadership job application
Use positive words like impressive, special, support,
Give the results. Use the STAR technique in your job application. State what you did, break it down into the actions you did and give the result of your actions.
Expect that they will want to hear your best stories. (*No, they aren't judging you- you're supposed to be telling your best career stories).
Add your LinkedIn profile link if you're active on the platform.
Make your job application easy to read using headings and subheadings.
What Are The Most Challenging LAOS Topics?
The main concerns in interviews that my clients have are...
- How to answer the conflict question.
- How to answer the challenging situation question.
- The fact that they feel that their competition ‘is high’ for the role
- How to answer the ‘vision’ question.
School principals can avail of coaching to help them plan their vision, to help them strengthen team dynamics, to help them reflect on how they responded to incidents of conflict or discuss challenging situations. Isn’t that cool?
Time Management Tips For Interviews
Let’s talk about tips for ➡Time Management⬅.
It’s one of my FAVOURITE topics to help clients with - because there are loads of ways they save time and they don’t notice it.
In this interview question, you need to tell them all the ways that you manage your time.
Examples here might be:
- Your calendar/diary/wall planner - ensures that you have records of things you need to do. If you manage your diary correctly – you won’t miss important events etc. Is this something you do?
- You may forwar…
How is the LAOS 2022 different to the 2016 version?
I've always loved the Looking at Our Schools Document because it provides us, as teachers, with a framework to assess and reflect on how we are developing as professionals. I created a resource with practical questions that help teachers to reflect on how they are progressing in their careers. You'll find it here.
As we progress and make changes in the education system the LAOS document is a fantastic place to allow career and executive coaches to support schools as an organisation and their sc…
How do I answer what is your vision for the school/post of responsibility?
My clients often find this question tricky! Why? Because they haven't taken the time to dream about the changes they could make. A great way to think about it is - If you had a magic wand and you could make changes - what would they be?
Here are some further tips:
- Be authentic – Think about what difference you would love to make in the school. Reflect: How would the school be different in 5 years’ time? What opportunities might the staff, pupils and community have? How would they be acting?…
What do principals want in teachers?
My key piece of study for 2020, was asking a wide variety of primary and second-level principals what they actually want in teachers in their schools. *These points are a shortened version of my freebie for teachers. Get the full version here. Their answers included:
- Top necessary skills: teamwork, communication, emotional intelligence, flexibility, leadership potential, enthusiasm
- Knowledge of the subject area
- Passion for teaching and willingness to develop their practice
- A personality t…
Your Inside Guide to Looking at Our Schools – A support document for aspiring and existing school leaders
Picking up this document – whether to self-reflect or when applying for a new role in management is a good idea to allow you to align with your current teaching practices. Working on your career vs working in your career – there’s a difference! Looking at our schools is a great document to allow for self-reflection.
There are a number of elements outlined in this document that you should consider when working on your career.
Reflection is key to teaching and this framework serves as a…
- #AP (3)
- #AP1 (14)
- #AP2 (14)
- #applications (1)
- #AP positions (6)
- #AssistantPrincipal (5)
- #Career (18)
- #career (2)
- #Career Change (5)
- #careerbreak (6)
- #careerchange (9)
- #careercoaching (34)
- #Confidence (6)
- #CPD (4)
- #cpd (2)
- #CV (6)
- #cv (9)
- CV Review (2)
- #CV Writing (3)
- #DeputyPrincipal (14)
- #education (22)
- #Education (4)
- #EdTech (4)
- #Growth mindset (3)
- #How to SAF (2)
- #inspectorate (1)
- InspiringSchools (1)
- #Interview (16)
- #Interview Preparation (10)
- #Interview questions (13)
- #jobs (13)
- #Job Applications (14)
- #jobapplications (29)
- #Leadership (8)
- Leadership (5)
- #leadership (11)
- Learning (33)
- #LAOS (3)
- #Lookingatourschools (2)
- #Mock Interview Preparation Primary (5)
- #Mock Interviews for Primary (5)
- #Múinteoir (3)
- #MúinteoirBunscoile (3)
- #MúinteoirMeánscoile (3)
- #News (113)
- #Non accredited courses (1)
- #nqt (1)
- #Opportunity (8)
- #opportunity (9)
- #ourschools (4)
- #permanentjob (8)
- #Play Therapy (1)
- #Primary (12)
- #Primary and Post Primary Interviews (7)
- #primarymockinterview (25)
- #primarymockinterviewpreparation (28)
- #primaryschoolteacher (27)
- #principal (9)
- #Post Primary (7)
- #postprimaryteacher (16)
- #Psychometric Testing (1)
- #Quality Education (7)
- #resume (3)
- #SAF (13)
- #saf (10)
- #sellingyourself (6)
- #STARtechnique (10)
- Strengths (1)
- #Substitute (1)
- #Teacher (23)
- #teacher (11)
- #teachers (11)
- #TeacherIreland (6)
- #Teaching (35)
- #Uncertainty (8)
- #whatcanido (7)
- #Winning SAF (2)